Prep Time: 20 MinutesBaking Time: 30 MinutesYields: 16 brownies
Discover a chilly twist on our favorite home baked brownies! Extra brownie flavor is packed inside these thick, fudgey brownies, layered with lovely hints of peppermint from our NEW Peppermint Brownie Brittle used in the batter, and crunchy bits of crushed peppermints sprinkled on top of fluffy, whipped cream cheese frosting. Have a bunch of boxes of candy canes around? This recipe will put them to perfect use!
- 6 oz. dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (5¼ oz.) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (2 oz.) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup NEW Peppermint Brownie Brittle, crushed with blender or food processor
- ½ cup Crushed Peppermint Pieces
FOR WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 cup (8 ounce block) full fat cream cheese, cold (225 grams)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (125 grams)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4 grams)
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream or heavy whipping cream, cold (575 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line with parchment and lightly grease an 8×8” baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, crushed Peppermint Brownie Brittle, salt, and cocoa powder together.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a large glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir, and repeat until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth.
- Add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined. The mixture should be room temperature.
- Add 2 eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Add the vanilla and peppermint extracts and stir. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool brownies completely.
- Make frosting and top cooled brownies (or use store-bought frosting of choice):
- Place 1 cup (8oz. block) of cold cream cheese into the chilled mixing bowl and mix on a medium low speed until smooth.
- Pour in 1 cup of powdered sugar, and mix on low at first to avoid anY powdered sugar clouds / explosions.
- Increase the speed to medium high once the powdered sugar is incorporated, and mix for about 1 minute.
- Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed throughout this process.
- Add in 1 tsp of vanilla extract, then turn the mixer to a medium high speed and gradually pour in 2 1/2 cups of cold heavy cream.
- Do this in about four additions, and focus on pouring the heavy cream down the side of the bowl to prevent it from splattering.
- Watch the mixture closely once the heavy cream is fully mixed in. It should thicken and take shape shortly after this
Top frosting with crushed peppermint and place brownies in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes - 1 hour. Enjoy!
Don't forget to share your creations! Tag @browniebrittle on social media for a chance to be featured!